Footsteps of American Saints -- Miguel Pro
How to start:
Read about this saint. You can find the answers to these questions using the links above. Feel free to use other resources.
1st - 5th Grades - Complete 3 requirements and 2 of the activities.
6th - 12th Grades - Complete 4 requirements and 3 of the activities.
1) Assist the youth with this Footsteps of American Saints activity
2) Share your thoughts with the youth about this Saint.
3) Review the youth requirements after they have completed the activity.
About this activity:
The goal of this activity is to share the lives of several saints so that the youth might relate to what these people have done and maybe look to these individuals as role models.
For more information about this Saint, visit:
In which country was Miguel Pro born. In what year and at what age did he die?
In which country was Miguel Pro ordained a priest? Why did he go there?
When is Miguel Pro's feast day?
What were the last actions and words from Father Miguel Pro before his execution?
In spite of the anti-Catholic laws forbidding Catholic worship, what happened at Miguel Pro's funeral? See photos.
- Miguel's nickname was "Cocol"--the word for a pastry that was a favorite of Father Pro's. You can find a recipe for cocol here: . Make some and share it with your family.
- Father Pro often drew comical pictures. Read about how he got his nickname, then draw a comical picture of him as he awakens from unconsciousness and says, "I want some cocol!"
- Tell the story of Father Miguel Pro to your family or friends. Be sure to include why he used disguises to carry out his secret ministry.
- Ask for the grace to be more like Miguel Pro: Christ the King, by the intercession of Blessed Miguel Pro, I beg you to answer my prayers. Give me the grace and the strength necessary to follow his heroic example and to live my Catholic faith in spite of all temptations and adversities. Amen.
Completion & Application
After completing the requirements, the participants will complete the NCCS Patch Order Form (here) and mail it along with the applicable fee to the NCCS. The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness and do not need to be forwarded when ordering the patch.