How to start:
Read about this saint. You can find the answers to these questions using the links above. Feel free to use other resources.
1st - 5th Grades - Complete 5 requirements and 2 of the activities.
6th - 12th Grades - Complete 6 requirements and 3 of the activities.
1) Assist the youth with this Footsteps of American Saints activity
2) Share your thoughts with the youth about this Saint.
3) Review the youth requirements after they have completed the activity.
- Discuss with your family or counselor, some of the values that you admire most about St. John Neumann. What is he known for? How can you be more like him?
- Draw a picture showing some of his accomplishments. Share this picture with your family.
- On one occasion, St. John Neumann made a trip of 25 miles over mountain roads in order to administer the Sacrament of Reconciliation to a single child. Remember that transportation was a lot more difficult back in the 1850’s. Attend confession. Discuss with your parents or counselor about your experience.
- Research a ministry in your parish. Create a poster(s) that are written in a language other than your primary language. Describe a ministry in your parish. Participate and encourage other to help out with this ministry.
- St. John Neumann took seriously our Lord’s words, “Go and teach all nations.”. Meet with your Religious Education Coordinator at your church. Assist a catechism class or youth in grade K – 5th by sharing a craft activity (examples: weave a palm cross, make a rosary with them, read a story from the Bible).
Where and when was he born?
Where was he ordained a priest and why here?
Did he prefer ministering in the city or countryside?
In what diocese did he become bishop?
What was one of the skills he brought to the people he ministered to?
What were some of his major accomplishments?
What was significant about his canonization to U.S. history?
Completion & Application
After completing the requirements, the participants will complete the NCCS Patch Order Form (here) and mail it along with the applicable fee to the NCCS. The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness and do not need to be forwarded when ordering the patch.