How to start:
Read about this saint. You can find the answers to these questions using the link above. Feel free to use other resources.
1st - 5th Grades - Complete 3 requirements and 2 of the activities.
6th - 12th Grades - Complete 4 requirements and 3 of the activities.
1) Assist the youth with this Footsteps of American Saints activity
2) Share your thoughts with the youth about this Saint.
3) Review the youth requirements after they have completed the activity.
- Draw the logo of the Knights of Columbus and color it in. Explain what Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism mean.
- Fr. McGivney worked closely with young people, holding catechism class. Meet with the Catechism organizer in your parish and assist in one or more Catechism classes.
- Fr. McGivney founded a total abstinence society to fight alcoholism. Find out more about his abstinence society and discuss it with your parents and unit members. Then write and take an abstinence pledge (contract) wherein you promise not to consume any alcohol before the age of 21.
- Discuss with your family what Christian charity is. Pick one way in which your family can do one good deed of generous service to your neighbors and do it with your family.
- Organize your group to do a charitable activity through your parish or Knights of Columbus Council.
Where and when was he born and how long did he live?
Together with your family say the Fr. McGivney prayer. (see back panel)
Fr. McGivney has often been described as a “humble parish priest”. Visit with a parish priest and discuss with him what he most enjoys about being a parish priest and what he finds most difficult.
What is Father McGivney known for (major accomplishment)?
Learn about the Knights of Columbus at www.kofc.org. Invite an officer of a local K of C Council to speak to your group. Alternatively attend an event sponsored by the K of C with your unit.
Completion & Application
After completing the requirements, the participants will complete the NCCS Patch Order Form (here) and mail it along with the applicable fee to the NCCS. The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness and do not need to be forwarded when ordering the patch.
The answers to the requirements can be found here:
Footsteps of American Saints -- Father Michael McGivney
About this activity:
The goal of this activity is to share the lives of several saints so that the youth might relate to what these people have done and maybe look to these individuals as role models.