How to start:
Read about this saint. You can find the answers to these questions using the links above. Feel free to use other resources.
1st - 5th Grades - Complete 5 requirements and 2 of the activities.
6th - 12th Grades - Complete 6 requirements and 3 of the activities.
1) Assist the youth with this Footsteps of American Saints activity
2) Share your thoughts with the youth about this Saint.
3) Review the youth requirements after they have completed the activity.
- Mother Theodore’s major focus was education – talk to your parents about when they were in school – how was it different than what you do in school today?
- Mother Theodore believed in caring for the sick poor. Imitate her by visiting residents of a nursing home or hospital with your parent.
- Mother Theodore felt the care of nature was important for all. Draw a picture of your favorite part of nature.
- Mother Theodore understood that our lives were full of crosses. She wrote: “Hail crosses, great and small, spiritual and temporal, exterior and interior, hail!” Write your own prayer about the crosses in your life.
When and where was Mother Theodore born?
How old was Mother Theodore when she entered religious life?
Bishop Bruté requested a religious congregation to teach in the U.S. Which diocese did Bishop Bruté represent?
Where in the U.S. did Mother Theodore and her Sisters settle?
What was the name of the religious order Mother Theodore founded in the U. S.?
What year was she canonized?
Completion & Application
After completing the requirements, the participants will complete the NCCS Patch Order Form (here) and mail it along with the applicable fee to the NCCS. The answers to the questions should be reviewed by an adult for correctness and do not need to be forwarded when ordering the patch.
The answers to the requirements can be found here:
Footsteps of American Saints -- Mother Theodore Guérin
About this activity:
The goal of this activity is to share the lives of several saints so that the youth might relate to what these people have done and maybe look to these individuals as role models.